April 14, 2004
Home, Home on the Asphalt
I’ve had a long-standing love affair with road trips. I find romance, adventure, soul-satisfaction in the enchanting combination of a cramped car, heart-stopping amounts of caffeine, the excitement of being able to fall asleep at the wheel at any given moment, a floorboard of empty Lays Potato Chips packages, and invigorating music played at ear-splitting levels on substandard speakers.
Road trip highlights:
1. The extemporaneous composition and performance of “The Leprosy Song.”
2.Visiting Times Square Church in NY.
3. That marvelous and indescribable feeling that one can experience only after drinking 2 cups of coffee and 3 Red Bulls.
4. A Dunkin-Donuts-seeking-detour that culminated in our car being searched by armed Marines.
5. Finding out, en route to Baltimore, that Baltimore is not in Ohio. I think that is perfectly justifiable. I didn’t grow up in the U.S.
6. Arriving in Prague, Czech Republic, after which we realized that we had no map, no knowledge of the city, and no idea where any sort of tourist center was. After a few hours we finally found the city’s castle and wanrdered aroudn there for a while.
7.Waking up when the car I was driving started hydroplaning.
8. Standing shirtless in freezing weather, outside a locked car in a traffic jam right outside of D.C.
Posted by jonsligh at April 14, 2004 09:44 AM
The interstate system connects America's soul to each of her citizens. We are all one on-ramp away from the time of our lives. Thanks for this one.
my wife and i just pulled a weekend up to PA and back. up in one car, back in another. you're right--there is something enchanting about the road. and there's nothing like the Siren sounds of the rumble strips.
Actually, Baltimore IS in Ohio: http://www.mapblast.com/(y5e41245rojvpmqgedcbmnj1)/map.aspx?L=USA&C=39.84539%2c-82.60206&A=41.56667&P=|99EDBF|&TI=Baltimore%2c+Ohio%2c+United+States
In Ohio? Arggg! Now I'm really confused.
You forgot the midnight incident involving Bob Gaudet, a gas station telephone, and your "Delilah" voice.
Then again, perhaps you've already blocked that one out (because believe me, I certainly have tried).
um...I really don't know what you're talking about. perhaps you're confusing me with someone else. i think it was garret who did that.
I enjoy driving over rumble strips, then staring at my girlfriend and accusing her of flatulence.
Jon, I would never confuse your golden tendrils for another.
Please note: Comments will not appear immediately. Your comment will appear upon approval by the blog's editor. We had to implement this to decrease the amount of spam that our site receives. Please forgive the inconvenience. We are looking into other, friendlier options.